-->

Pages

Kontemporary Koan


I do believe I heard the first utterance of an original koan today.

"She doesn't go anywhere for the first time."

Please forward any previous utterances or references to this linguistic gem in any and all variations, just in case I am challenged by the OED or Guinness. The source of this emanation is someone I have learned to keep one ear turned towards at all times. Today in the midst of a completely original and fanciful story arose that luscious line.

Sure it tangentially references by own favorite koan:

"You can never step into the same stream twice."

I assume we have all been there for the birth of pithy and insightful turns of phrase, right off the top of my head I remember this doublespeak:

"Just because you believe it, doesn't mean it's true.
Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it isn't true."


And I was second hand to the first overhearing of the teeny-bopper record store observation:

"Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings."

When I grow up I want to be a linguist.